All grants awarded by the National Manuscripts Conservation Trust (Registered Charity no. 802796) are subject to the following general conditions:
1. Any archive or manuscript conserved with the help of a grant from the NMCT must not be sold, pledged, charged or otherwise disposed of without the prior written consent of the NMCT, which will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
The recipient of the grant and/or the owner (where different) must give the NMCT not less than 60 days prior notice of its wish to sell or otherwise dispose of any archive or manuscript conserved in any manner with the help of a grant from the NMCT. If the NMCT-assisted object is disposed of with the consent of the NMCT, the grant recipient and/or owner acknowledge that the NMCT may exercise its right to receive from them an amount in cash equal to our grant or 10% (ten per cent) of the proceeds of the sale, whichever is the greater.
2. Any works proposed in future which materially affect the item/collection that is the subject of a grant must be submitted to us before the work begins.
3. The Trustees or their representatives may inspect the manuscripts in question at any stage from the submission of the application to the completion of the conservation work.
4. Awards from the Trust must be spent solely on the programme of work approved by the Trustees. Any proposed departure from the approved project must be referred to the Trust for prior approval. Any part of the grant that is not required for the approved purpose is to be refunded to the Trust.
5. Grants may be awarded for up to 100% of the project cost, though pressure on grant funds means that the grant will usually be a smaller proportion of the total cost, particularly with larger projects.
6. In the event that the cost of the project is less than stated in the original application, the final instalment will be reduced accordingly to ensure the NMCT’s grant does not exceed the percentage originally awarded and to free up funds to enable other projects to be supported.
7. Grants will normally be paid in two equal instalments: 50% when the grant is awarded and the applicant has confirmed agreement to NMCT's grant conditions, and 50% when the project is complete and the Trustees have received a satisfactory final report.
8. Payment of the final 50% of the grant will only be made on receipt of a satisfactory final report using the NMCT’s final report form (downloadable from NMCT website). Reports must be submitted to the Secretary by email (contact details below).
9. The NMCT’s grant should be acknowledged in any exhibition and publicity material (including social media, websites, blogs and newsletters) in connection with the project.
10. Whenever possible, copies of before, after and in progress photographs should be provided to illustrate how an award has been used. These photographs may be used in future NMCT publicity material.
Additional conditions may be applied on individual project. Any such conditions would be set out in the grant offer letter. If the NMCT’s conditions of grant are not complied with the Trust reserves the right to cancel the offer of grant, or to claim repayment of the grant if already paid.
Click on the link for a downloadable pdf for our grant conditions: